« Home | dreaming » | losing it » | Love is a special way of feeling » | wake up from your sleep » | 'Miss Mildura' » | lighthouse » | imagination... » | no coincidence! » | Memories and mess » | Aye! » 

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Auki

Auki is where we lived for the first years in the solomons. Tonight I went looking through our old photo albums, and couldn't help but think how crazily lucky I am to have grown up how and where I did...





This Photo captures one of my all time favourite memories. We were building steps down the front of the hill that our house was on, and it was pouring with that amazing tropical rain. The hill quickly became a mud-bath and I must have spent the whole afternoon just covering myself in the stuff. I was out on the half dug steps and remember just making myself slip in the mud over and over again. The dress was never the same!



















































...pumpkin babies (Em on the left, me on the right)










































...in pirate mode (Bec, Claire and Em)










































...at the beach..squinting into the glare!





































...through the roof in one of the village houses
















































and finally, my lovely sisters and I on a rock. (Bec, Me, Laura and Em)

What a way to grow up.
Now I'm all homesick.

Hey Han, just letting you know in that last picture, the girls are "Claire, you, Rebecca and Emily" ....take a close look...I clearly remember feeling carsick and staying in the old blue hilux while you all explored the quary.

wow laura you're right it is too!

and yes i was a missionary kid :)

wow... that last one. It was so beautiful!

I loved it up there.

Han, what great memories. We all had a blast living there didn't we? washing our hair is in the river, spas at the waterfall, picking mangoes paw paw and bananas in our yard-all those free pineapples you got at the market, just for being cute, tuna and sweet potato chips from the take away , pet snakes , birds and giant beetles, the cat having kittens in the school room, ginormous thunderstorms, the crab stuck in the rat trap, the RATS, Toad popping on raint nights and toad footy, , giant blue starfish, snorkelling at Buma, beach picnics, 3 hour church services, mangy dogs, dolphins jumping in the harbour, stupendous sunsets from our balcony, ..I could go on. Now I feel homesick too! And always there was little Hannah in her undies -a feral little urchin you were- grubby and always something funny to say!

All of these photos are amazing Han. There’s no doubt you’ve been very lucky to have lived in such a beautiful place, and even luckier being able to call such a beautiful place home! I’m learning more all the time about this part of your life, I realise I still know very little about it.
I understand how a place can be so close to your heart, and the kind of fondness that a place like ‘Auki’ inspires. I think about places from my own childhood, places I grew up, and love them in the same way. Love in one of its many forms.

Well Han I’m thinking of you (as usual) and hoping that you’re smiling.

P.S. I think that blogging is becoming a bit of a Beimers family favourite!

Post a Comment