« Home | Family and my now desperate need for sleep » | Smile you Fool! » | an african boy » | My Precious » | how to hold on to it » | To blog? Or not to blog? » 

Friday, June 09, 2006

A constant


It's a night where I feel like I have a lot to write about, but am unsure of how to go about it. I am sitting in my room, lamp on lights off. Enya 'The Memory of Trees' is in my cd player.

Most of the day was spent uselessly at school because we had pretty much no classes on. Now i'm not complaining, I cut a friend's hair (poor him) and had a good conversation with one of the teachers about the lack of arts based subject choice etc. at my school. Everyone is talking about and planning for Centre Trip (3 weeks in central Australia) and we leave on Monday morning at the the glorious hour of 5.30 am. Yikes.

I've always loved travelling, and leaving on a trip, or even to pick someone up from the airport while it is still dark has always thrilled me for some reason. This is the only thing that makes the 5.30 start time slightly more bearable and infact almost quite lovely in my mind.

Still don't know how to express what I'm feeling. It's a lovely inspired sort of emotion, underlaid with a touch of sadness and a touch of apprehension and under that again is peace. Now i'm not sure if it is lovely with those other things, or if it is lovely because of the situatons behind those other things. I'm pretty sure the peace has nothing to do with me.

I'm really appreciating these couple of verses at the moment, half reassurance half a challenge. It's what I need.

Philippians 4: 6-8
6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


Too often people take this as a 'I need to cut out this and this and this and this from my thoughts' but even more than a checklist, I am inspired by this. Too bad if it's been cliche'd by a lot of people... that's the beauty of God... he isn't confined or cut short by our own little misuses of things. He reveals himself through the obscure and through the blatantly obvious. To make it simple, God is all around us and these are the things that are excellent and praiseworthy. Instead of confining ourselves, this is rather freeing. Life is rich with God. What a pleasure!!

peace is definately something worth chasing as a day to day thing. As a constant.

Post a Comment